‘Tis the season of Valentine’s love, and I’m excited to be joining some amazing secondary bloggers in this blog hop hosted by The Language Arts Classroom, Faulkner’s Fast Five, and The Literary Maven.
I have a lot to feel grateful for on Valentine’s day; my husband, children, parents, siblings and friends let me know that I am loved pretty regularly. But my personal life isn’t why you’re reading this blog, so this post is about what I LOVE about teaching.
1. The one thing I love the most about teaching is the interaction I have with the students. There is no better high as a teacher than when your charges are engaged in a lesson, interacting with you and with each other in a way that shows they are learning–and they are having fun too! Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not living on a cloud of teaching joy where this happens all the time. But when it does, it makes everything else worthwhile.
2. The resource I love using the most, is one of the first ones I created for TpT, because I loved using it with my students. When I teach writing, I use a workshop approach and, as I do with everything, I stress the process. I want my students to know that they will always create better pieces of writing when they take their time and think about the best way to get their ideas across to their readers. This resource takes students through the process of writing an essay, one that can’t happen the night before it’s due. And, I usually get some believers, for many will comment on how much better their essays are because they took the time to revise. You can find the product with the lessons I use HERE.
3. This year, I’m giving a special Valentine’s message to my students.
February is change-of-semester time in high school, so we don’t always know our students very well at this point. However, my IB class has been with me since this time last year, and I’ve come to admire and appreciate things about each of them. So, when they get an assignment back next week, I’m going to staple a Valentine’s message to the top of it. If you’d like to do the same for your students, you can download my
4. I would love for all of my students to understand that working hard will pay great dividends for them. It’s a song I sing all of the time, but recently I discovered a youtube video where a teacher spreads the word in a much more effective way than I do. I plan to play this for all of my new classes this week in the hopes that some of them get inspired to do their best this semester:
5. I love Penny Kittle’s books, Book Love and Write Beside Them. She has a no-nonsense approach to reading and writing workshops that put the focus on student engagement and real learning. I am planning to incorporate many of her great ideas into my teaching this semester. Look forward to some blog posts as I try some new things!
Love #4 and as I am just starting a new college class in "Critical and Creative Thinking," I really am emphasizing that well kept secret about learning success. It's often about the daily steps and choices these involve! Same is true for secondary! Thanks for that reminder for Valentines.
Maryann Saylor says
Thanks for the freebie. I have just the class that needs these little notes!
Jackie Cutcliffe says
You are welcome, Mary Ann and Ellen!
I absolutely love the video that you shared! I can't wait to show it to my students and my colleagues. Thank you Jackie!
Addie Williams says
I think I'm in love with the guy in the video – he's singing my favourite song!! Great idea to link it on your blog! Did you show it to your students?
Jackie Cutcliffe says
Yes, I did with my last semester classes on the last day. I'm showing it earlier this semester in the hopes that the new bunch will start humming along with me!
Connie Casserly says
Understand the writing process, helps students to find confidence in their thinking and writing skills. Your product handles this crucial lesson so effectively.
Julie Faulkner says
Great video! Thanks for hopping along with us!
Raj Joshi says
Awesome to see your site. Keep up the great work. Thanks for all you could do.Lets stay in touch
valentine week days list
Happy valentines day quotes messages poems
10 Love Quotes For Her On Happy Valentine’s Day 2016
10 Love Quotes On Happy Valentine’s Day 2016